Monday, June 7, 2010

Wyatt Jeffrey Joseph Fischer is finally here!


So I've been a little busy figuring out how to be a mom to blog about this, but on Wednesday June 2nd, 2010 at 6:51 AM our baby boy was finally born! I'm willing to share all the gory details if you ask, but the basics are this:
Josh and I spent Tuesday the 1st running some errands to get me out of the house. I was pretty annoyed and hormonal and all sorts of things so it was good to get out of the house. We went to Chili's for lunch because I was craving their endless soup, salad, and chip lunch special. SO good! (I recommend the Green Chili Chicken soup). Then around 7pm those darn annoying contractions started getting a lot closer together! By 11pm they were about 3 minutes apart. We called Gramma Dee Dee and Granpa Jeff and told them to head to the hospital. When I got to maternity triage, they told me I was 5cm so that was good news. The rest of Triage pretty much sucked. It was cold, I had to lay on my back (Josh and I had worked out a great system of me sitting backwards on a chair and leaning back on him during contractions) so the contractions there were pretty uncomfortable. When I got up to my Labor and Delivery room though it was a little better. My nurses were phenomenal. Very kind and encouraging. Even though I wasn't supposed to have water, they got me some. Even though the doctor's 'preferred' me to stay in bed, they let me get up and move around. I was happy sitting on a stool next to the bed, leaning over it while Josh rubbed my back. A few hours later though, they checked me again and I had only gone to 6cm. They offered to break my water. I was torn on whether or not to do it, but I knew that I hadn't slept at all the night before and that this could go on for awhile. I was really worried about not having the energy to let things happen on their own. No energy usually leads to C-sections so I wanted to give it my best show. SO they broke my water. Now I had heard how intense contractions get once they do that, but I was not prepared for the contractions on steroids that followed! The monitor measured the strength of the contractions as well as the baby's heartbeat. Most of them were about a 6 on a scale of 1-12. After they broke my water they went up to the 8-12 range. I handled them for about an hour, then started to worry about the energy thing again. I asked them to check me-not a lot of progress still, so I asked for the epidural, hoping I'd get some relief and maybe even be able to relax a bit while I dilated further. In the meantime, Wyatt's heart rate dropped as he moved further south so I had to lay on my left side only. That REALLY sucked to deal with contractions in that position!!! When the epidural showed up, it of course, didn't do anything but numb the top of my right leg. I started to panic a little because I was really worried I wouldn't make it. Then the 'urge' to push came. That word urge is a misnomer. Try holding your breath for as long as you can and then resist the 'urge' to breath. You know you'll die if you don't breath right? Well I knew I'd die if I didn't push. It was crazy! So they checked me again...I had gone from 6-10 in about 20 minutes! WOOHOO! Once I got the green light to push, all the pain went away and I had something more important to focus on. It was the hardest work I had ever done in my whole life. I was so focused on getting him out that I don't remember too much. I do remember Josh telling me that he saw his head and that I was so close. The nurses were also helpful in encouraging me to keep it up. Unfortunately, after all the preparation I tried to do to keep him in a good position for delivery, he still decided to be face up!!! It certainly made it difficult! But after about an hour and a half of pushing, Wyatt made it out safe and sound! 7lbs 8oz 21 inches long. Amazingly, these were my exact measurements when I was born. I was able to hold him right away. Josh cut the cord too which he wasn't interested in for the past 9 months. He was truly amazing through this whole thing. I couldn't have done it without him. We were an awesome team! So overall I had wanted a natural birth. Even though I tried to get an epidural, it was pretty much natural for the most part! The main things that I DIDN'T want though were to be induced or to have a C-section. So even though it got a little dicey for awhile there and Josh swears we won't have any kids ever again, we made it! and Wyatt is absolutely perfect :)

1 comment: